John Innes Centre (JIC) Open
PhenomUK@JIC – Plant growth and pest resistance phenotyping
- Field Experimentation – Wintersteiger Quantum combines, seed analysis, Chopin CD-1 flour mill with Near InfraRed Spectrometers (NIRS) and biomass evaluation capabilities in addition to standard harvest data (yield, moisture, specific weight)
- Drone capture – DJI M300 with a variety of payloads (P1, L1, H20T and Sentera Multi-spectral). DJI Mavic Multi-spectral drones.
- Quarantine insectary – Operating under Defra APHA licences to import, move and keep specified non-native herbivorous invertebrates and plant pathogens. Equipped with 5 built-in Control Environment Rooms, 6 climate controlled growth cabinets, and 3 incubators.
Field Experimentation – Bespoke field experiments using Wintersteiger Quantum combines with Near InfraRed Spectrometers (NIRS) and biomass evaluation capabilities in addition to standard harvest data (yield, moisture, specific weight). Yield component data (grain size, number, TGW). Milling for nutrient analysis, extraction rates.
Drone Capture – An array of DJI drones with a variety of payloads that can capture high resolution RGB imagery, Thermal, Multi-spectral and LIDAR point cloud data. Calibration can be performed using several methods with our Mobile RTK GNSS correction stations, GPS survey equipment, radiometric calibration targets and ground control points. We have access to a number of processing pipelines including Pix4dMapper, Agisoft Metashape, DJI Terra along with several open-source solutions.
Entomology and Insectary – Over 40 colonies of invertebrates available for phenotyping resistance to invertebrates and invertebrate-transmitted plant pathogens, including non-native specified species. The Entomology team is highly experienced in establishing new colonies of invertebrates for research, as well as designing, conducting and providing training for bespoke choice and no-choice feeding and performance assays using live invertebrates.
Plant Height and crop health measurements of Brassica oleracea using LIDAR, multispectral and Thermal drone payloads.
Screening of lines of:
- Oilseed rape and relatives for resistance to cabbage stem flea beetle
- Wheat for resistance to grey field slugs
- Pea for resistance to pea aphids
For further information please go to:
Head of Field Experimentation